Sunday, April 4, 2010

Greenproject4





This project was challenging for my in terms of trying to decide how to build it. At first I wanted to make a pillow of sorts out of different colors of fabric, but sewing has never been my strong point and I was struggling. Then I thought of cutting swab sticks to form it, but I didn't like the way that was turning out either. Finally I decided to revert back to a material that I had experience with, which is wire. I took inspiration from Malibu's nail brush enlargement from last week, which I really liked. I used 28 gauge purple wire and a discarded cooling tray. Then I made graphs of my map, charting the rise and the run so to speak.
One fun thing that came out of making the elevation was that it felt almost like weaving at one point because I used very long pieces of wire.
Then, to display my piece, I chose the spot in the studio with the most white, which is above the white square on the floor and I suspended my project with thread from the ceiling. I really wanted people to feel able to walk around my project and inspect it from all angles, above, below, and from the sides, and I hung it from black thread instead of fishing line because I was afraid of clothes-lining someone and at the same time wreaking my project. I chose purple wire because I wanted to mimic the hazy quality mountains get. I think that it turned out well, and especially like the side view.

No comments:

Post a Comment