Sunday, April 11, 2010

Emily Green, Sarah May, Sarah Gender project5













I found this to be the most challenging project to date. All of the elements to be considered were more than I am used to. That aside, I am really happy with how our bridge turned out. I don't know about the other members of my group, but my favorite feature of this bridge is the fact that it is still alive. The frame is primarily grape vines, and for extra strength we allowed most of the vines to remain rooted to the bank. I love the idea that this bridge will put off leaves and grow in time, becoming stronger instead of rotting away.
It reminds me of one of my neighbor's grape arbor back home. Really it is the back room of his house because the grapes have grown over a huge frame about the size of my dorm room. In fall the grapes hang from the walls and ceiling and smell wonderful.
This bridge also reminds me of something out of a fantasy story. I love The Lord Of the Rings, so I think of hobbits when I look at our bridge. But that's just me.
There are three rock supports to this bridge, and the rest is woven out of grape vines and sticks. I would trust the vine base to outlast a tsunami. When the waters receded, most of this bridge would still be in tact.
Also, one of the highlights of building this bridge was the really cool salamander that I found. I took his picture and put him back under his rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment