Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Piper - Topographic Map




Systems taught me to consider as many factors as possible before I started work on a project. After my failed first attempt at the topographic map (involving 4,500 tiny beads), I realised I had to start off thinking about the materials, the proportions, the process, and putting them all together. Retrospectively applying those types of considerations to other projects, I began to notice that any physically creative endeavour is a system of factors:

- materials (availability of them? workability of them? strategy for them?)
- strategy (intelligence of it? practicality of it? presentation of it?)
- presentation (intent behind it? effectiveness of it? materials for it?)

...and the system creates a cycle
...and from this cycle comes efficiency, which accelerates the effectiveness of the intended idea

...
which is art.



I say, Foundations-- did you really teach me something that goes beyond Foundations?

No comments:

Post a Comment